Ep 39 | From Philly To Malaga: One Woman's Pre-Move Adventure of Relocating a Family of 4 to Spain (Part 1)
Welcome to Season 3 where I speak to women in the travel industry who are making an impact and helping others live their best lives. We talk about everything including corporate runaway stories, remote work tips, grief and travel, planning for retirement, solo female travel, moving abroad, building generational income, and much more!
In this bonus episode I speak to She Hit Refresh member Lori Tharps about her upcoming move from the U.S. to Spain with her husband and two children. At the time of recording this podcast Lori was just 9 days away from hopping on a plane and making her life abroad dream with her family a reality!
Listen in as Lori gives us an insight into those last final days of closing up shop on your life in one country and prepping for a big move with your family to another continent. Is she packed? What do the kids think? Did she quit her job? Is she nervous? Where will she live and so much more! What makes this episode really special is that in 6 months we’ll be checking in with Lori to see how her life has unfolded in Spain since we last talked!
What we discuss
- Where her love affair with Spain started
- Why she’s moving to Spain at age 49
- The decision process behind leaving a a much coveted tenured position for the unknown
- How her children feel about moving to a different country
- How Lori and her husband will support themselves abroad
- Her experience on being a Black woman in Spain
- What the last 9 days of her life in the U.S. are like
- …stay tuned as we check in with Lori in 6 months to see how her life has unfolded in Malaga, Spain!
Lori L. Tharps is an author, journalist, educator, and podcast host who uses her words to spark conversation and change around issues of race and diversity. She is the author of the book, Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America and the memoir, Kinky Gazpacho: Life, Love & Spain and she has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, Essence and Glamour magazines. Lori is the mother of three, can say, “I Love You” in seven languages and considers any independent bookstore her happy place.